Quinton Rampage Jackson (32-10-0) may have one more legal fight to prepare for before he enters the UFC’s octagon.
Last night during the main card of UFC Fight Night 58, it was announced Jackson was back in the UFC.
But Bellator FC CEO Scott Coker says Jackson is still under contract with them and they will legally contest the matter.
Jackson went 3-0-0 in Bellator, and is looking to show the fans that Rampage can still fight.
Initially, it looked like case-closed announcement.
So far, it looks like Rampage executed a clause in his contract that allows him to terminate.
Official statement on my UFC signing and what's happening at http://t.co/2iCm2dLQDw (so Scott Coker can shut up)
— Rampage Jackson (@Rampage4real) December 21, 2014
Bellator CEO Scott Coker responded with a tweet.
Let us be clear that Quinton "Rampage" Jackson is under an exclusive contract with #BellatorMMA. We will protect our contractual rights
— Scott Coker (@ScottCoker) December 21, 2014
Now, it’s a fine print scramble to see who will have the services of the former UFC light-heavyweight champion.
Jackson emphatically says he’s back on his website:
“After five months of grueling negotiations and gray-area contract talks with Bellator MMA and parent-company Viacom, Quinton “Rampage” Jackson officially terminates his contract with the up-and-coming promotion citing multiple breaches since the removal of President and Founder Bjorn Rebney. Jackson exercises a clause in the agreement that allows for a 45-day window to satisfy any contract dispute. Bellator MMA, failing to fulfill the requests of Jackson, was put on notice, failed to respond and eventually notified that negotiations were officially terminated.
“Jackson’s U.K.-based fight manager and Wolfslair Academy founder Anthony McGann confirms, late Saturday night, that “Rampage has indeed signed with the UFC.” Details of the deal have not been made public. Jackson was available for comment late Saturday night from his Laguna Hills, CA training center Rampage Family Fitness and provided the following: “I went to the UFC and we put a deal together that worked out for both of us. I’m excited to be here. The UFC had nothing to do with me leaving Bellator. I was done with Bellator when I made the final call and they still didn’t do what they had to do contractually. I wish those guys the best but I’m where I belong.”
It looks like this one may go to the courtroom judge for a decision.