DAZN reveals its top 10 streamed events in 2019
The Mexican superstar, who DAZN signed to a $365-million 11-fight deal, did not even crack the top three in 2019, despite fighting twice.
The honour goes to the rematch between Andy Ruiz Jr. and Anthony Joshua, who fought in December 2019 in Saudi Arabia. Joshua defeated Ruiz Jr. by decision to recapture the IBF WBA and WBO heavyweight titles. Surprisingly, their first bout in June failed to crack the list.
Alvarez finished in the No. 4 and No. 10 spots, for his fights against Sergey Kovalev and Daniel Jacobs, respectively. Canelo won both bouts, but more impressively was the win over Kovalev, who Canelo moved up two weight classes for to win the WBO light heavyweight crown.
The YouTube celebrity boxing match between KSI and Logan Paul clocked in at No. 5. This may be a surprise for boxing fans but it the bout shows the power of the internet and social media. More celebrity matches can be expected based on the success of this bout, which resulted in a split-decision win for KSI.
American MMA promotion Bellator, which DAZN also streams, did not make the list.
The rankings come with the disclaimer that they are “based on the number of live and on-demand streams per event of more than one minute.”
The full list is:
Top 10 Most-Streamed Events on DAZN in 2019
1. Ruiz vs. Joshua II (Dec. 7)
2. UEFA Champions League: Tottenham vs. Liverpool (June 1)
3. UEFA Champions League: Liverpool vs. Barcelona (May 7)
4. Canelo vs. Kovalev (Nov. 2)
5. KSI vs. Logan Paul II (Nov. 9)
6. UEFA Champions League: Tottenham vs. Bayern Munich (Oct. 1)
7. Serie A: Milan vs. Internazionale (Sept. 21)
8. UEFA Champions League: Ajax vs. Tottenham (May 8)
9. UEFA Champions League: Barcelona vs. Liverpool (May 1)
10. Canelo vs. Jacobs (May 4)
According to DAZN, the company streamed 107 events in 2019.